Dorm Friendly Allergy Friendly Recipes
(Only Requrie A microwave And/or Fridge)
Eating in a dining hall can sometimes be stressful. Chances are, you may start to miss being able to sit down and enjoy a meal without wondering whether or not your food is safe to eat. Here we have put together some top 8 allergen free recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack and Dessert and the only appliance they need is a microwave or a fridge and most are single serve so you won't have to worry about string leftovers. Happy cooking!
Apple Banana Oatmeal- Serves 1
- 2 packs instant oatmeal, any flavor
- 1 large apple
- 1 tbsp earth balance or safe butter
- 1 medium banana
- cinnamon for garnishing
- Cut up your apple into small pieces.
- Put it in a microwave safe bowl, and add safe butter and sprinkle cinnamon. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove from the microwave and mix so that the butter and cinnamon are dispersed. Microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Set apples aside and cut the banana into small slices.
- Prepare your instant oatmeal according to the directions, then mix in apples, and top with banana.
Cinnamon Toast- Serves 1
- 2 pieces of safe bread. If you have a toaster, you can toast it.
- 1/2 a banana, mashed
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Generously spread your mashed banana on both pieces of toast
- Sprinkle on cinnamon sugar mixture as desired
Bacon- Serves 1
- Safe Bacon Slices
- Turn a bowl upside down and set it on a plate.
- Drape your bacon over the top of the bowl, and microwave it for about a minute per slice. Place a paper towel over the bacon to soak up any popping grease so it doesn't make a mess in your microwave.
- A lot of the unhealthy grease will run down the bowl into the plate, resulting in crispy bacon you won't believe came from a microwave.
Strawberry Breakfast Bowl- Serves 1
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 Tbsp safe flour of choice
- 2 Tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup safe milk of choice
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- Mix together the oat bran, flour, buckwheat groats, flaxseed, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the vanilla, applesauce, and milk until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Gently fold in the diced strawberries.
- Spray a microwave safe baking dish or ramekin, and pour batter into dish.
- Heat for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the top is set.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
Banana Bread- Serves 1
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp safe flour
- 1 packet stevia (or other sweetener of your choice equivalent to 2 t. sugar)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg or 1 tbsp ground flac meal + 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp safe milk
- half a banana, mashed
- cinnamon, for sprinkling (optional)
- In a large microwaveable mug lightly misted with non-stick spray, blend flour, sugars, salt, baking powder & baking soda.
- Add egg or flax egg & mix until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla, oil & milk, then mashed banana.
- Microwave 1-1/2 minutes to 3 minutes, depending on your microwave.
French Toast- Serves 1
Cinnamon Maple Quinoa- Serves 2
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons butter or earth balance
- safe milk
- maple syrup, to taste
- banana slices
- Place quinoa in water and rinse well.
- Drain quinoa, then stir in 1 cup cold water, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon safe butter.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Stir and microwave 3 more minutes.
- Remove from microwave, cover with foil and sit 2 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa and stir in remaining safe butter.
- Divide between 2 bowls and top with safe milk, maple syrup, banana slices and cinnamon to taste
Microwave Meatloaf- Serves 4
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup Ian's breadcrumbs or other safe breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef or pork)
- 1 large egg or 3 tbsp ground flax seed plus 1 tbsp water
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 8 ingredients (through egg/flax egg) in a large bowl; stir gently to combine.
- Spread meat mixture evenly in a 9 1/2-inch microwave-safe loaf dish coated with cooking spray; do not pack meat mixture into dish.
- Loosely cover with a paper towel.
- Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes.
Microwave Chicken Nuggets- Serves 4
- Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 cup safe milk
- 1 cup Ian's breadcrumbs or other safe breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese or Daiya Mozzarella Cheese Shreds chopped up fine
- Now, the first step is to cut the chicken into nugget-sized pieces, no smaller than an inch. Continue cutting until all of the chicken is cut. Remember to wash hands after handling raw chicken!
- Then, pour the milk into a small bowl. Pour the cheese and bread crumbs into a large storage bag with a zipper; seal and set aside. Take the chicken pieces and dip them into the milk. Now take the bag and shake up the contents.
- Open the bag, take the chicken that has been coated in milk, and place the chicken into the bag. Finish putting the chicken into the bag. Once all of the chicken is in the bag, seal it. Now you will shake it. This is the fun part.
- The next step is to prepare the chicken nuggets. Take a paper towel and place it on top of a microwave dish. Now, you are going to take the nuggets and place them on top of the paper.
- Once the plate is full, put another paper towel on top, and then put the plate into the microwave for seven minutes on medium-high heat.
- Once the time is up, take the chicken pieces out of the microwave and use a knife to cut into one of the pieces to check if the meat is cooked through. If the meat is still pink, put it back in the microwave for a minute, or until the meat is white with little to no pink.
Pizza- Serves 1
- 1 rice tortilla or other safe tortilla
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup daiya mozzarella shreds or other safe mozzarella shreds
- Any additional toppings
- Place tortilla on a microwave safe plate
- Spread tomato sauce and safe cheese as desired
- Add toppings
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and any raw toppings are cooked.
Mac and Cheese- Serves 1
- 1/2 cup safe macaroni pasta or safe shell pasta
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup safe milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup daiya cheddar cheese shreds or any other safe cheese
- Combine the pasta, the water, and the salt in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH in 2-minute intervals until the pasta is al dente, stirring between each interval. This should take about 6-8 minutes total. If the pasta absorbs all the water before the pasta is cooked, add another 2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir in the milk and cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH in 30-second intervals until the cheese has melted into a creamy sauce, stirring between each interval and 1-1.5 minutes total. For a creamier sauce, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk and cheese.
Noodle Soup- Serves 2
- 1/2 cup shredded or finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons earth balance or safe butter
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 ounce uncooked safe noodles
- In 1-quart microwave-safe casserole, combine carrot, onion, celery and butter.
- Cover. Microwave on high power 1 minute.
- Add broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Microwave on high power, covered, 5 minutes longer. Stir in noodles.
- Microwave on medium (50 percent) power, covered, 3 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Let stand 2 minutes until noodles are softened.
Microwave Chicken Breasts- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp. lite cooking oil
- Approximately 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- Approximately 1 tbsp. fennel seed
- Approximately 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. honey
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded
- In mixing cup, combine oil and seasonings.
- Drizzle over chicken in microwavable plate, cover airtight with Saran Wrap and microwave 4 minutes.
- Cook 2 breasts at a time.
- Drain out juices of chicken and mix with lemon juice and honey.
- Then, drizzle on top of chicken again and serve.
Burgers- Serves 1
- 1 frozen burger patty of any meat
- 1 safe burger roll or 2 safe slices of bread
- Desired toppings
- Place frozen hamburger patty on a microwave-safe plate or dish.
- Cover the hamburger with a microwave-safe casserole lid or plastic wrap. Don't allow the plastic wrap to touch the patties. Prop it up with toothpicks firmly stuck in the meat and cut a small hole to vent the wrap slightly. Covering the meat helps it retain moisture during the cooking process.
- Set your microwave to high or medium-high power and cook the hamburgers for five to eight minutes.
- Take the burger out and flip it.
- Continue cooking the meat for several minutes until the burgers are steaming and the juices are running clear. The exact time it takes to cook hamburgers in the microwave varies because all microwaves cook differently due to wattage and efficiency variations. The more fat the ground meat has, the faster it will cook, though lower-fat hamburgers are preferable for nutritional reasons.
- Allow the hamburgers to sit covered in the microwave for at least two minutes once you they're done to let them finish cooking and reach a stable internal temperature.
- Check the temperature of your hamburgers with a food thermometer. Ground meat must have a temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit to be safe for consumption. Check the temperature in several places of each patty since microwaves can sometimes cook the edges well but leave the centers still undercooked.
- Place the cooked patty on a safe bun or bread and top with desired toppings.
Smashed Potatoes- Serves 4
- 4 (6-ounce) baking potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream or 1/4 cup coconut cream and 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice
- 1/2 cup safe milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place potato pieces in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover bowl with paper towel
- Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Add safe and remaining ingredients to bowl; mash with a potato masher or fork.
Any Microwave Vegetable- Serves 1 to 4
- Vegetable of choice
- 3 tbsp water for every pound of vegetables
- Wash and cut vegetable(s) to desired shape
- Place cut and washed vegetables in a microwave safe bowl.
- For every pound of vegetable you have, add 3 tbsp of water.
- Microwave on high in 2 minute increments until vegetables are cooked.
Rice- Serves 1
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 1/2 cups water or stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons safe butter or oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large glass measuring or any microwave safe bowl. Note: the rice expands during cooking, so be sure to choose a container that is large enough.
- Microwave on high, uncovered, for 10 minutes or microwave on medium-low, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Do not stir the rice at any time during the cooking process.
- Season with salt and fluff with a fork just before serving.
Seed Butter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars- Makes 10 Bars
- ¼ cup earth balance or regular butter, softened
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup sunflower butter or safe nut butter
- 2 cups quick wheat free cooking oats (not rolled oats!)
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons enjoy life mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together quick cooking oats and crispy rice cereal. Set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl or Pyrex measuring cup, stir together earth balance (or butter), honey and brown sugar. Microwave until it starts boiling (about 2 minutes with my low-wattage microwave, could be sooner for you). Once it begins to boil, let boil for 1 more minute in the microwave. Remove from microwave and stir in safe nut or seed butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour hot honey mixture over dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour into a lightly greased 8x8 pan and let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours or in the refrigerator for a half hour or until set. Cut into 10 bars and store tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or in a tupperware.
Sweet Potato Chips- Serves 8
- Cooking spray
- 1 (14-ounce) sweet potato, very thinly sliced, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit a microwave-safe plate; coat parchment lightly with cooking spray.
- Arrange one-fourth of the potato slices in a single layer on parchment.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper.
- Microwave at on HIGH for 4 minutes. Check for crispness.
- Continue to cook at 30-second intervals until done.
- Repeat procedure with remaining potato, salt, and pepper.
Microwave Popcorn- Serves 1
- 1 brown paper lunch bag
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Put the un-popped kernels in the paper bag and tape it shut.
- Place in microwave and cook on high for 1 minute 48 seconds or until there is 3 seconds in between pops.
- Pull out and enjoy!
Blueberry Muffin With Streusel Topping- Serves 1
- 1/4 cup rice flour or safe flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/16 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp safe milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 7 fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp cold earth balance or safe butter, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour or safe flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Mix everything listed in muffin ingredients except blueberries into a microwave safe mug with a small whisk. Drop blueberries in, spreading them out. In a small bowl, mix streusel ingredients, until butter pieces are completely coated in the rice flour, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle small crumbles of streusel on top of muffin batter, spreading out evenly across surface.
- Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. Let cool for a few minutes before eating.
Chocolate Muffin- Serves 1
- 1 tbs Ground Flaxseed
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Milk of choice
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 4 packets sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Regular Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 6 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Spray a 5" baking dish or 4" ramekin with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flax and milk.
- Stir in the applesauce, sugar and salt.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, then stir in the rice flour.
- Last, stir in the baking powder.
- Scoop batter into the prepared baking dish and microwave (the 5" baking dish takes about 4 min + 30 sec, the ramekin takes 5 min) until surface springs back when tapped.
Chocolate Chip Cake-Serves 1
- In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Now pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly combined.
- Pour into greased ramekins, a little dish, or a mug. (Or two 1/2-cup ramekins.)
- Cook for 1 minute 20 seconds in microwave (Microwave times will vary depending on wattage).
- Let cool before trying to pop out.
- Makes 2 small muffins or one jumbo muffin!
Popcorn Brittle- Serves 4
- 1 cup popped popcorn (See popcorn recipe in snacks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp safe butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Butter a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan, or line the pan with a Silpat®. (Don’t line it with wax or parchment paper, since they can’t handle this kind of heat.)
- If you haven’t done it already, pop the popcorn, and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, light corn syrup, and salt in a large glass bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH 5-7 minutes
- Quickly stir in remaining ingredients, and pour onto your prepared pan. Shake the pan to spread thinly. (If your candy has already cooled to the point where it’s thick and sticky, spoon it onto the pan, and use the back of your spoon to press it down into place, like working with a sticky pan of Rice Krispies squares.)
- Cool until firm, and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Rice Krispies Treats- Serves 12
- 3 tablespoons safe butter
- 40 large marshmallows (or 4 cups mini-marshmallows)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat butter and marshmallows at HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until coated.
- Press mixture into 13 x 9 inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cut into squares when cool.