Section 6: Going To the Doctors By Yourself
If you are anything like me, you are not a fan of the doctor. Going to the doctor might be a necessary thing during college though and it is important to know how to go to the doctors on your own. Here are some tips to make going to the doctors a little less stressful:
- Bring a friend- your friend can help distract you while you are waiting and keep you company but you friend also functions as a vital set of ears. Sometimes when the doctor says something, we don't fully absorb it. Having an extra set of ears will help insure none of what the doctor says will be missed
- Make a folder- make a folder with all of your medical records especially if you are seeing multiple doctors of different specialties. It is good to have all of your documents in the same place so you can refer back to them if you need them.
- Use your calendar app- make note of your appointment in your calendar app. The last thing you want to do is forget an appointment since chances are someone else would have loved to have your appointment time. It is usually a good idea to allow 20 minutes before your appointment so you have some wiggle room incase something happens.
- Update your parents- even though you are in college now, you parents are still a key part of your treatment team. Keep them updated and let them know what is going on with you medically so if something happens and they need to advocate for you, they are up to date on all of your conditions.
- Write down questions- if you have questions or a refill, write them down so you can make sure to have all of your questions answered and so you don't forget.